The Three Medieval Manors of Sawtry

Le Moyne Manor

The Le Moyne family held the Manor of All Saints in Sawtry. Sir Walter Le Moyne was a Knight in the service of Eustace the Sheriff around the time of the Norman conquest in 1066. The family were here in Sawtry for nearly four centuries and several generations were Lords of the Manor, the last one being Sir William Le Moyne, until his death in 1404. His wife Maria was a lady in waiting to Queen Phillippa of Hainault, the Consort of Edward III and mother of Edward the Black Prince. There are two large brasses of Sir William Le Moyne and his wife Maria on the wall in All Saints Church. They are believed to have been lids from their stone coffins that were in the original All Saints Church that stood where the current church now stands. The original All Saints church, possibly wooden, was standing when the Domesday book was written in 1086 and the church was central to the Le Moyne Manor.  The original Manor House would have stood somewhere near the church.

Beaumes Manor  

 

Sawtry Judith Manor